Green Roof Plants and Growing Media is part three of the three-part Green Roof Professional (GRP) Training series. This course will provide you with an overview of plants and growing media design considerations and maintenance for green roof assemblies. It establishes design and implementation best management practices for plants and growing media in green roofs. You will also gain insight into the latest industry developments, technical standards and research findings, with reference to relevant examples and case studies.While this course can be taken alone, the material presented here can also be used in preparation for the GRP Accreditation Exam.
Green Roof Plants & Growing Media Includes:
- Access to the Green Roof Plants & Growing Media course (7 hours)
- A 150 page resource manual, in either digital or hard-copy format
- A certificate of course completion, upon request
- Facilitate communication between the various professions involved in green roof design and implementation by acquainting participants with basic plant and growing medium design terminology.
- Identify performance criteria of green roof elements.
- Understand basic factors that influence plant and growing media design according to predetermined performance criteria.
- Determine factors that affect successful green roof plant and growing media design, installation and maintenance.
- Understand how to diagnose common problems with green roofs in order to remedy them.
Green Roof Plants & Growing Media Overview
Module 1 | The Living Components of Green Roofs
- Plant Physiology - Part 1, 2, 3 & 4
- Plant Categories
- Biological, Chemical and Physical Characteristics of Growing Media
- Components of Growing Media
- Review | Module 1 Quiz
Module 2 | Vegetation & Growing Media Design
- Plants and Growing Media Design Intent
- Plants and Growing Media Design - Part 1
- Plants and Growing Media Design - Part 2
- Review | Module 2 Quiz
Module 3 | Vegetation & Growing Media Installation
- Installation of Irrigation Systems and Growing Media
- Installation of Vegetation - Part 1
- Installation of Vegetation - Part 2
- Review | Module 3 Quiz
Continuing Education Credits
This course is approved for 7.5 AIA/GRP, 7 ASLA, and 6.5 APLD CEUs.
"The course has valuable information and allows you to study remotely and at your own pace. I'm very satisfied with the knowledge I have on green roofs after taking the course!"
- Nanci Fioravanti, Account Manager, The LaurelRock Company
"This course offers more than enough knowledge and resources to become a green roof expert in a short amount of time."
- Megan Lynch, Landscape Architectural Designer, Benner Landscape Architecture
With a background in architecture, Patrick established himself and his firm, Hadj Design, as early pioneers in green roof design. Through his design-build efforts, he has completed over 100 projects ranging from residential to commercial to institutional, and encompassing a wide variety of assembly types. He participated in the development of GRHC’s Green Roof Design & Installation, and Green Roof Waterproofing & Drainage courses, with active involvement in the GRHC Research Committee. He has also designed several living walls of various functions such as air-remediation, food production, and aesthetics, both interior and exterior.
StartPlant Physiology - Part 1 (23:16)
StartPlant Physiology - Part 2 (22:06)
StartPlant Physiology - Part 3 (14:04)
StartPlant Physiology - Part 4 (14:06)
StartPlant Categories (10:08)
StartBiological, Chemical and Physical Characteristics of Growing Media (40:51)
StartComponents of Growing Media (11:21)
StartQuiz Module 1