Green infrastructure means natural and human-made elements that provide ecological and hydrological functions and processes. Green infrastructure can include components such as natural heritage features and systems, parklands, stormwater management systems, street trees, urban forests, natural channels, permeable surfaces, and green roofs. Green infrastructure use is widespread across the US and Europe, but capacity in Canada to use, create policy for, incentivize, and apply green infrastructure is limited. This course is designed to build this capacity in the public and private sector by introducing green infrastructure through its types, benefits, principles, applications, and successful policies.
- Unlimited access to Introduction to Green Infrastructure
- Access to the Introduction to Green Infrastructure Digital Resource Manual
- Certificate of completion
- Understand the range of possible benefits using green infrastructure
- Learn the principles behind incorporating green infrastructure into community building projects
- Understand the various elements and functions of green infrastructure
- Understand the barriers to green infrastructure implementation
- Understand the planning process designed to develop a comprehensive green infrastructure planning and implementation strategy
- Learn about successful policies implemented in other jurisdictions
This course is approved for 1.25 AIA/APLD, and 1.5 ASLA/GRP CEUs
Rohan has spent the past six years working on breaking down barriers to the widespread use of living green infrastructure across North America, developing and delivering training programs, tools and resources, and analysis. His focus has largely been on green infrastructure performance, costs, and benefits, and his analyses have helped lead to the passage of Denver’s citizen-led Green Roof Initiative and improvements to Toronto’s Eco-Roof Incentive Program. He is the lead behind the adaptation of the Green Roof Training Professional Program for Singapore, and for the Living Architecture Performance Tool rating system for green roofs and walls.